Zurich Gnome

The journal of a Swiss-based motor-racing enthusiast.

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Minardi is dead, long live Minardi!

Business never ceases to amaze me. Specifically when it comes to the names of car manufacturers.

I'm quite comfortable with Ford buying Jaguar, and Aston Martin. And I know that Ferrari were effectively bought by FIAT in the 60s/70s, although what the current ownership structure is escapes me, even though there is talk that Bernie Ecclestone wishes to invest.

Race teams have usually been pretty straightforward. Ownership tends to pass from one company or individual to another, but it appears that that isn't the case with Minardi. I'd thought that the company was bought by Red Bull and renamed Squadra Toro Rosso, end of story.

But the news that Paul Stoddart still owns European Minardi and wishes to enter the 2008 F1 championship, and has indeed made an official entry, surprised me. He still owns the facility at Ledbury and all of the two-seater Minardi cars, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

But when you think that the Minardi name has disappeared, and then less than two races later see it bounce back, it does make you think a bit.

2 Comments:

At 8:18 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Your post makes it sound like your not happy about the Minardi name returning to F1, surely you are pleased that Paul Stoddart is wanting to bring a 'new' team to F1? The ownership structures used by some companies, especially Bernie's, are particularly complex so it doesn't suprise me that the Minardi name is returning. The more the merrier.

Also, what do you think to the 2008 regulations?

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger ZurichGnome said...

No, I'm very happy about Minardi returning to F1. In fact I'd like to see Giancarlo involved too. And having Paul back would be good. I thought he did a great job last year, and as he said in his pitpass interview, if the budget for F1 is $100 Million, Minardi could be a front runner. 2008 regs? wasted opportunity. I'll write more on that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home